Financial Plus was founded in 1952 (then known as Cheve-Flint Federal Credit Union) by the employees of the Chevrolet Motor Company who worked in a factory fondly known as “Chevy in the Hole.” The plant was located in a low area (hence “the hole”) along the banks of the Flint River near downtown Flint. As you can imagine, our members still take great pride in our automotive roots.
The Credit Union began to grow, and by 1965 the charter had been expanded to include workers in other Flint area General Motors facilities. At that point, the name was changed to West Side Auto Employees Federal Credit Union.
The growth didn’t stop there, and in 2002 we became community-chartered. This meant that anyone who lived worked, worshipped, volunteered, or attended school in Genesee, Shiawassee, Lapeer, and parts of Livingston County could apply for membership. Because we no longer only served automotive employees, a name change was needed, and the name Financial Plus Federal Credit Union hung on our doors for the first time. We began to expand and the Corunna Rd., Swartz Creek, Fenton, and Grand Blanc branches were gradually added.
2014 wasa big year for us. We converted to a state-chartered credit union (dropping the word “federal” from our name), allowing us to serve members in 34 Michigan counties. Also that year, we merged with Saginaw-based Amalgamated Credit Union, giving us our first branch location in Saginaw County. Then, in 2015, we opened a new full-service location in Howell, giving us our first presence in Livingston County.